Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Africa Ain't No Thang

Bags are packed:

(Shout-out to Dave Cowell for my amazing Mauritania tote)

My checked bags are only a cumulative 59 pounds! I am a rock star.

Besides my fabulous friends & family, here is a short list of things I know I'll miss:

cold Vitamin Water
pashmina scarves
hot showers with good water pressure
a fluffy big bed
bubble tea
pub trivia nights
lying by the pool
The Economist
Kieran cat
piano
Journey, my wacky awesome church in Austin
Crocs
wireless internet on my laptop (and reading the news in bed)
fake caring about the Red Sox (Boston pride -- even in the face of last nite's meager performance in Philly, eek!)
reading old entries in my journal (I'm bringing a fresh one, can't afford to lose the current one)

I'm off to Atlanta in about an hour, where I will meet up with the approximately 75 volunteers going with me to Mauritania. We'll have a whirlwind couple of days getting immunizations & picking up our visas, and then we ship out Friday afternoon. Bring it on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i can't believe thats all you are taking for 27 months. you are amazing!!