Monday, August 11, 2008

Cuckoo for coups!

I have to be honest. When I first heard on Wednesday that there had been a military coup in Mauritania, my first reaction was to want to laugh. No, this is not an appropriate response, but for those of you who don't know, I experienced a coup while living in Ecuador in 2005. What were the chances of it happening again? (I guess pretty high, when you look at Mauritania's track record.) It seems far less exciting the second time around. Now I can understand why the Mauritanians hardly bat an eye. Rest assured that all is safe and well on my end. If you are interested in my personal thoughts on the matter, please email me.

I am a few hours from the capital city, so life just goes on as normal here. Goats still graze with or without a president.

No comments: