Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The best-laid plans...

Well, I prepared a blog update that I was going to post for you all last week, after we got our permanent site assignments. Buuuut then the internet wasn't working at our training center the night before we were leaving. And then I got sick and had to be left behind at the center while everyone else went out to visit their new homes! BUT everything worked out in the end -- big thanks to all my fellow PC-ers who took care of me (and shout-out also to antibiotics). And due to the magic of the internet, I am still posting that entry right now as if it had been July 21st. Don't be confused. ;)

So Dar el Barka is AMAZING! I could not be happier with a site placement, honestly. It is right on the river, absolutely beautiful. For me it is the perfect happy medium between a village and a city. We have some of the amenities of a city (running water, electricity, cell phone service, some corner stores, a big market once a week) without all the litter and traffic and crowds. And they just built a brand new building for the middle school, so it's really nice. I am pretty excited.

I was also given a new name -- again! When I arrived to Dar el Barka, they asked me my name in America, and I told them. Then they asked me my name in Mauritania, and I declared proudly, "Houley Sow!" And they said, "Nope! Your name is Raky Mamadou Wane." (The first name is pronounced "Rocky," which I find rather awesome.) They chose to name me after the mayor's wife, which is a big deal because I guess she is from a pretty important family. All I know is when I introduce myself, people seem to be really impressed! This could also be because of my amazing Pulaar skills. I kid.

One more thing: I have a new and improved mailing address. The old one still works because it's just the Peace Corps HQ, but this one will reach me faster. Please USE it!! You guys don't want me looking like a big loser over here, do you? Mail equals life and wealth and power! Just kidding, but seriously. 94 cents can buy you my undying affection. It's that easy! Check it, over in the right panel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Rocky" (a/k/a Julie Ann) -- sounds like a terrific spot to spend the next two years! Electricity & running water -- what a treat!!

Best of luck to you.

Vicki

Unknown said...

I agree ... NOW you can really appreciate running water and electricity. you look GREAT in your purple dress and head scarf? I phoned Sat, Sun and Mon (7/28), but only got strange busy signal. I'm so glad you are happy.
Love,
Dad
P.S. You are really getting TAN!