Sunday, September 7, 2008

The hardest part?

Everyone always says that Pre-Service Training is the hardest part of your Peace Corps service -- that once you get posted to site, you have more independence and life is thus easier.

I arrived in Dar el Barka on Tuesday, and these last days have by far been my most difficult since coming to Africa.

Up to this point, I have constantly been in the company of other Americans, but now it's just me in a village of a few thousand Mauritanians who all know my name (Raky!), as I struggle to learn theirs. The people are SO kind. I feel like my Pulaar is terrible, but day by day it's getting better. Often someone will rattle off a long sentence to me and I'll catch only the last word or two, but I fill in the gaps with whatever I assume they meant and I answer accordingly. This might get me into trouble soon, but so far so good.

My days are long, in no small part because school hasn't started yet. I've been trying to walk around the village and meet people, but it is pretty tiring. Also, it's Ramadan, so everyone is fasting and essentially just sleeping the daylight hours away. So, I've had a bunch of down-time in my room just reading and intermittently engaging in self-pity. I try not to be jealous of other RIM PCVs -- I wish I had a sitemate, I wish I had the internet, I wish I had electricity, I wish I had running water -- because let's face it. I obviously didn't come here because I thought it would be "easy."

That being said, your communication with me TRULY invigorates me. Please keep up the blog comments, emails, letters -- and I have great news about phone calls! I just bought a Senegalese cell number because it's supposed to have better service at my site. And it's much cheaper for YOU to call than Mauritania! All around, awesome. I still will keep the other number for when I travel outside of my site. Please use the one listed first (011.221.77.518.70.13), and keep in mind to check for rates to Senegal, not Mauritania. Onesuite.com is 26 cents a minute.

MISS YOU ALL, love to you via the glorious internet in Boghé!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie Ann -- After reading your post I wanted to immediately pick up the phone and call you!! But, it was kinda late and I didn't want to wake you. Hang in there, girl!! Once school starts you will be soooo busy and these kids will depend on you so very much. I think you're probably feeling exactly what each of the other PCVs are experiencing. It will get better! Keep up those posts and I'll keep reading!!

Take care of yourself!!

Vicki
(aka, Stalker Mom) ;o)

Unknown said...

JULES! YOU ROCK. hang in there...i think you need a latch hook...hmmmm.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

May you be encouraged! From my 9 years in Velingara, Senegal, I guess that's sometimes what we need more than anything else. Would any of your Pulaar speaking friends like free copies of a paper in Pulaar? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane

September 8, 2008 9:36:00 AM GMT

Unknown said...

Gosh, Julie ... now I feel really bad that I wasn't more aware of my time Sunday afternoon (Sep 7) and then it was too late to call you.

You are blessed with many friends, and I love you with all my heart. Hershey sends his love (meow, meow)

Be safe ... and pray when you are feeling down.

I truly understand that even one American companion would make a world of difference.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Julie,
There is a reason for you being assigned to this difficult post. Someone knew you would be uniquely able to cope with it. When does school start? Down time will be precious then.

I am so proud to have been your teacher.

R. Haney

Unknown said...

Julie,
Your brother David turned 21 on Sept 8th. He and I celebrated over a meal at Appleby's ... AFTER ... calling several times on your Senegalese phone number. All we got was a recorded female voice speaking what sounded like a French derivative over a bed of catchy African music. I won't be able to talk to you again if this interface persists. We wondered if she was trying to say "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again ...". I did and probably got charged for 4 or 5 calls. I wish you were still using your marvelous Mauritanian model. We tried to cheer you up!
Love,
Dad

Tonya said...

Hi Julie,

I just read your blog, and wanted you to know how much I am in awe of you. You are an amazing woman, from day one reading your blogs have made me feel so much better about this adventure that you, my son, and the rest of PCV's are conquering. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and more.

(the other stalker mother ;} )