Sunday, September 28, 2008

What ships are built for

Think about the last time you moved to a new place. How did you figure out where everything was? Where to buy food and household sundries, where to find public transportation? You probably looked it up online, or in the phone book, and you plotted your way on a map. Maybe you asked a friendly neighbor for help. But what if there ARE no phones, no internet, no maps (no roads in the first place, anyway) -- and oh yeah, you only kindasorta speak your neighbor's language?

Well, sir, then life is an adventure! ;)

Example: say you feel like a burger today. What do you do? Go to McDonald's. Or, if you're more industrious, go to the grocery store and pick up some ground beef. But what if you had to buy the whole live cow? This is my life. I have the choice of buying an unhappy braying goat, a chicken with its feet tied together, or a still-flopping fish. I just laugh -- I wouldn't even know where to begin! So when I cook for myself, I stick to veggies, beans, macaroni. And fortunately, when I eat with the locals, the women know how to prepare the fresh river fish excellently.

My hair is growing. Compare two weeks to four:



There is no such thing as "Africa." There really isn't. When people here ask me about how certain things are in Amérique, I find it funny, because of course America is so big and diverse. Kennett Square is not Compton is not the Great Lakes is not Vegas is not Hawaii. BUT how much bigger is Africa? In our Western minds, it's all elephants and lions and bright fabrics and oversized jewelry. But, like anywhere, there are rich and there are poor and everything in between. I guess the difference is whether poverty is the exception or the rule.


It has struck me that many of my friends are in positions surprisingly similar to mine right now. No matter where in particular you are or what you're doing, if you're brave and determined (which the people I love unquestionably are), then you are always facing the unknown. You are constantly putting yourself in a position of temporary discomfort, in aim of a grander goal. It would always be easier to just stay, just settle, but if you're really alive then you can't.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - William Shedd

(Maybe this is not all so deep. But it spoke to me, and it made me fiercely proud of all of you for braving your own uncharted waters.)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for uncharted waters and not knowing where to go!! i have yet to explore the metro here...yikes.

mandy said...

it's amazing to me that you can be so fiercely proud of others while we are simultaneously fiercely proud of you. :)

i've spent a little while catching up on you via bloggerland, and i'm happy i did. a very worthwhile and inspiring study break for me. :)

p.s. love the cabeza. beautiful!

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

Peppy said...

JAC--you are amazing! So full of life and adventure and seeing the positive in all circumstances! I love your blog and I love the pix! I love living vicariously through your stories; how I'd love to have had this opportunity when I was younger. Thank you for sharing this most wonderful time in your life. I thank God for you!

Unknown said...

Julie -- it is wonderful to see how upbeat you are compared to three weeks ago! I love your comments this week. As I've said before, you PCVs have soooo many people who are so very proud of you and praying for you. Keep up the great work!

Vicki

Anonymous said...

JA!!! i love your blog. Sounds like you're having an amazing adventure-filled time.

I don't know why..but you look like a celebrity with a shaved head... AWESOME. sad i could never ever pull that off.

Ma'il salama habibti! How's you're arabee doing?!

Love,
Mon ;)

Jay Davidson said...

Salaam aleikum, Julie Ann,

I have been very busy lately so did not keep up with your blog. But when I got a message on Facebook that five of my friends were tagged in photos by Kat Slager, I hopped to it to check it out. That's when I saw the photos of you with your shaved head!!!

So I got caught up with your blog and photos for now. Good to see that you are thriving there.

Yes, I agree, that Africa is not and cannot be one place, just as the USA is not. When people abroad ask me questions like, "What time does school start in America?" I have to tell them how diverse a country it is. And, of course, we understand that it is the same with Africa. Even in one country, Mauritania, there are tremendous difference, depending on location.

My best to you. Glad that Ramadan is over, mashallah.

Do take care,

Jay

Anonymous said...

PROUD
OF
YOU,
STUDLET!!!!!!!!!
love love love

Unknown said...

Julie Ann,

I am so glad that you are happy and making friends. You are experiencing a great adventure.

You look terrific in your yellow outfit. I can't get over how much you look like my mother in her younger days!

You have a package and a padded envelope on their way. Should be there in another week.

I miss you every day. Hershey sends his best to you (and Lindsay). Meow!

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

that yellow outfit rocks