Tuesday, November 11, 2008

American in Africa listens to Brits discuss African-American

Well, I ended up getting a ride into Boghé today on the bed of a UNHCR truck (the United Nations refugee agency). It was straight out of Hotel Rwanda. Unbelievable.


I came in midweek because my associate director is visiting my site on Saturday. It's nice to have some flexibility with my travels since I don't teach on Tuesday or Wednesday, but truthfully I am pretty busy these days. I try to hang with my family as much as I can, to keep improving my Pulaar. But I spend a fair amount of time planning my lessons, sitting on the floor in my room with a pen and paper. I basically have to create all my own material from scratch, for four different levels. I'm really enjoying it, though. Last Monday we did Describing People, and I made my students discuss the U.S. presidential candidates: "John McCain is very old. Barack Obama is beautiful." Their words, not mine! ;)

Everyone on this continent is fired up like CRAZY after this election. They can't believe that a "noir-américain" will really be President of the United States! They proudly claim Obama as a true son of Africa. My family here, mostly illiterate in this dusty little village without electricity, just constantly repeat his name (which they can actually pronounce, unlike his predecessors' "Zorz Boose" and "Bickington") and ask me all about him. Then they quiz each other and recite what they know: "He's black, AND American. His father is African. His father is Muslim, but Barack is Christian. He has two children, girls. If January dies [Pulaar phrasing for "at the end of January"], he will be President."

My buddy Rick Diamond in Austin, TX, posted an excellent "44 Things about the 44th President" on his blog. I respect Rick so much and love all that he had to say. "Obama's political and philosophical values are, for me, the best of what Christianity says it is about but mostly isn't about." I can only echo his sentiments.

On the night of the 4th, I set up my mosquito net on my roof for the best possible shortwave and cell phone reception. I listened to BBC coverage that started at 10pm (5pm EST), but it goes off the air here at 11. Then NOTHING broadcasts to West Africa in English, French, or Spanish between the hours of 11pm-3am. How cruel! I tried to get some sleep, but it was impossible. It felt like Christmas Eve.

As the results came in, I started to just cry. And cry, and cry. I couldn't believe it -- what an amazing moment in history! It was 5am as Obama began his speech. I found it beautiful. "To those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world... a new dawn of American leadership is at hand." I smiled.

He was still speaking as over the bullhorns here came the morning prayer call. A new dawn.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, Julie ... I got tears reading how you cried about Obama's victory.

I wanted you to know about his victory so I set my alarm for 2:15 AM Eastern Time ... and called you.

Miraculously the call went thru and we rejoiced together.

Thank you for posting regularly to your wonderful blog.

I miss you everyday and love you with all my heart.

love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

hey jules!

just wanted to tell you that i've tried to call you numerous times, but i've been unsuccessful. i figured i'd take advantage of the free international calling at work...

any who... i love keeping up with your life via your blog. if my life was half as interesting as yours, i might attempt the same.

miss you!

Jennie