Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween, election, video!

This is just a mini-update. I came into Boghé again this weekend for a little Halloween celebration with the other Americans. We had a blast! I decided to take advantage of my short hair and pulled off a pretty sweet McCain, with Teresa as Ms. Palin:


Not bad, right? Especially considering the few means at our disposal! Teresa struck gold finding that red cardigan at a "dead toubab store" (Salvation Army rejects) here in Boghé. Ryan's family sent him a DVD of the presidential debates, so we watched some of that yesterday. Very exciting stuff. We broke into cheers when Obama mentioned doubling the Peace Corps -- woot woot! We all voted absentee a few weeks ago, and our ballots were specially delivered to Washington via the diplomatic pouch. Many Mauritanians are really excited about the election, too, and the prospect of a "noir-américain" taking office. They listen to updates on shortwave radio. I will be tuning in with bated breath come Tuesday night!

Note: Mauritania does not observe Daylight Saving Time, so as of today, I am 5 hours ahead of the East Coast.

I hope I wasn't misleading in my last post. I am NOT unhappy with my assignment in Mauritania. Yes, it is without a doubt one of the toughest countries that Peace Corps serves, with a wide range of challenges -- but that just makes us RIM PCVs that much more hardcore! ;) Really, I am loving getting to know the people in my village and to see what their lives are truly like. I laugh often. I see shooting stars every. single. night. I love teaching, and my students are so enthusiastic they literally fall out of their chairs to volunteer. I am happy.

Something fun to leave you with... my friend Dave is awesome and edited together a few videos I had sent him. (Believe it or not, the internet is so incredibly slow and spotty here that it was actually more efficient for me to burn the videos to CD and mail them to America, to be uploaded there.) Some footage is from my training site at PK7, and the rest is more recent from Dar El Barka. Hope you enjoy!

9 comments:

Jim Dyer said...

God bless you, Julie Ann, for the work that you are doing for the Lord. I am a friend of Pat Pepe's at Christ Community Church, and I have really enjoyed your blog. I author a blog for our church called The C3 Blog. Check it out sometime if you get a chance at http://christ-community.blogspot.com/

Peace. Jim Dyer

Unknown said...

Julie Ann! What a wonderful video -- especially since I got to see Ryan!! ;o) You and Teresa look great -- love the costumes! Also, glad the cds got there in time for the event.

Wish on those falling stars!! And take care of yourself. We're all praying for you and the other PCVs -- you guys are the best.

Vicki

Unknown said...

I find it especially entertaining that Teresa got her cardigan from a thrift store, that's so like Sarah Palin ;-) . And isn't it just like my brother to NOT wear a costume. I think his go to costume in college was "crazy drunk guy in a mask."

- Jamie (Ryan's sister)

Unknown said...

and then i cried at your video.

Unknown said...

Happy Wednesday! I figured if the rest of my family was harassing you I might as well jump on that band wagon. Thanks for keep up the blog—it’s nice to know what’s going on over there =)
By the way, I think my sister was half right—I know Ryan went as crazy drunk guy, but I am unsure as to whether or not a mask actually existed…
Take care,
Lindsay Z (Ryan’s favorite relative)

Unknown said...

Hi Julie Ann,

I'm at work so can't see your video until I return home. I look forward to viewing it.

If you're seeing shooting stars every single night, it's time to pass on the peyote/mushroom salad!

Loved your ingenious Halloween costumes. Very clever! You and Teresa both look great!

If you keep your hair that same length, next year dye it orange and go as Annie Lennox!

You would look more like her back in the day than Annie does now.

I'm glad you got to hear both McCain and Obama speak live on BBC in the aftermath of the Election.

I pray for your continued good health and safety. I am elated to hear that things are going well.

love,
Dad

Unknown said...

my beautiful julie,

your words are beautiful. i love you and think of you all the time.

missing you,
jenny

Tonya said...

Julie Ann,
Thank you for the video, it kind of hit me with a dose of reality! I miss my son a lot, but seeing the faces, smiles and reading the blogs make everything a little easier. I can only imagine the joy it brought your family.
Thanks again,
Brandon Forester's mother

Anonymous said...

hey chica, your blog rocks! I miss you so much and am proud of you! Here in Ecuador I for sure am not livin like oyu, Africa is a place of its own. I wish i oculd be there with you. lots of love

erica